"Sample Appreciation" Volume I-The Emotions'-"Blind Alley"

by Eric on May 11, 2007

When They Reminisce Sample Appreciation Volume I-”Blind Alley”

Man, what a LONG day people!!!! Thank you all for your blessings, we are very grateful!! While, my newborn has been a breeze today, let’s not forget I have a 16 month old daughter as well who is a MAJOR bundle of energy. Still, wouldn’t trade it for the world…but, I will say this…I love my Daughter with all my heart & soul, but thank the Lord that she is usually in bed by 7 p.m. most evenings. Sometimes, I don’t know how I’d ever accomplish anything! So, with that being said…finally, a free minute to bless everyone with the “goodness” that I’ve been looking forward to posting. If you read this blog at all, you already know that my favorite sample of all time is The Emotions’ “Blind Alley”. With the following compilation I’ve tried to include the majority of acts that have sampled the timeless classic from The Emotions. While certain cuts that have made the sample extremely relevant have been excluded for obvious reasons (i.e, Wreckx N Effect’s “Rumpshaker Remix” & Mariah Carey’s “Dreamlover), there is no denying the impact that this sample has made in Hip Hop, just look at the tracklisting, it’s more or less a who’s who of Legends. If you look back to one of the first posts on this blog you’ll see how I was first introduced to “T.R.O.Y.”, well…I first heard the “blind alley” sample that same late Saturday nite as well as a backdrop for AMG’s “Jiggable Pie”. From the moment that lovely piano loop caressed my ears I was hooked for good!! This sample will never get old to me, it has never mattered who has spit over “Blind Alley” it became an instant classic in my life. Although I’m obviously biased to the sample, I have listened to this compilation in it’s entirety a few times in succession and it’s a dope listen. You’d think that 25 songs utilizing the same sample would become boring and monotonous but it’s anything but. Also, if you may know of any other artists who flipped “Blind Alley” drop a comment. I just went off the top of the head with this one, who knows maybe there will be a “Blind Alley II” sample appreciation post! Enjoy!!…-Eric

Tracklist

1. “Blind Alley”-The Emotions
  2. “Ain’t No Half Steppin”-Big Daddy Kane
  3. “Klap Ya’ Handz-Das Efx
  4. “Alladat”-Brand Nubian f. Busta
  5. “I’m Different”-Ed O.G. & Da Bulldogs
  6. “Organizer”-Chubb Rock
  7. “He Had To Tear This….”-Ice Cube
  8. “Comin’ For Datazz”-Gangstarr
  9. “Scenario (Remix)-A.T.C.Q, L.O.N.S, Kid Hood
  10. “Listen (Blast Off)”-Large Pro
  11. “Rough House (Pete Rock Remix)-Rough House Survivors
  12. “Pink Cookies….”-LL
  13. “Sound Of The Zeekers”-L.O.N.S.
  14. “Duck”-King T
  15. “Funk Wit Da Style”-Craig Mack
  16. “Psycho”-Lords Of The Underground
  17. “Sippin’ Brandy”-King Sun
  18. “4 Better Or 4 Worse”-The Pharcyde
  19. “Brothers From Brentwood L.I.”-EPMD
  20. “The Beauty Shop”-Nikki D
  21. “Redman Meets Reggie Noble”-Redman
  22. “Jiggable Pie”-AMG
  23. “Who Dem Ni**as”-Tha Alkaholiks
  24. “Phony Rappers”-A.T.C.Q.
  25. “Jussumen”-Das Efx

Dee-El May 13, 2007 at 12:06 am

One other track that comes off the top of the dome “It’s Gonna Last” UMC from the Fruits of Nature LP. By the way, your list is dope is hell. Dope compilation for real. Keep doing what you do

Dee El Sends
P.E.A.C.E.

Just Ice May 13, 2007 at 2:18 am

Wow…I had no clue (or just suffer from the effects of drugs from eons ago?) that beat was so widely used. If I had to list a fav. it’s be a tie between Kane and L.L.’s versions. Kane’s just had that slow, pimp feel to it. And L.L.’s…hmmm, the same. Has Just missed his calling in adopting a pimp hand? (re-reads and dumps the rest of his wine glass). Night!

Jaz May 13, 2007 at 9:26 am

Yo E…Another Great post…I was actually going to do a post like this but you bet me to it, however I did actually beat you to it in an other way I had an article published in a magazine I write for here in New Zealand, Back 2 Basics with a piece titled Top 5 Best Uses Off…The Emotions-Blind Alley… anyway these are from my list and are just some suggestions for part 2…;)

3rd Bass-Products of the Environment (Marley Marl remix)(1990)
45 King & Latee-Rock Da Bells (2001)
A-T.e.e.m-Let Me Hear You Say Hoe (1992)
Boss-2 Da Head (1993)
Brand Nubian-Return of The Dread (1994)
Bustin Melonz-1994 (1994)
DJ 20/20 & Mysterme-Unsouled Mysterme (1992)
Ed OG & Da Bulldogs-
Finsta Bundy-Finsta Baby(1992)
JVC Force-Big Trax (1992)
King Tee-Black Togetha Again (Marley Marl Remix)(1992)
Knucklehedz-Girlie’s Keep Screamin (1993)
K-Solo-System (1998)
L.O.N.S- A Quarter To Cut Throat (1993)
Lords of The Underground-Psycho (1992)
Pete Rock & CL Smooth-Da Two (1998)
Redman-Time 4 Sum Aksion (remix) (1992)
Smif N Wesson-Wrekonize (1994)
The Future Sound-Pixie Groove (1992)
The Wascals-The Dips (1994)
Top Quality-Message from Uptown (1994)
Trendz of Culture-Off & On (1993)
Troubleneck Brothers-Hoods Up, Caps Down (1992)
Ultramagnetic MCs ft Godfather Don-Raise It Up (1993)
Whatnoxic-Contortion (1994)
Yaggfu Front-Busted Loop(1994)

My favourite uses are…

BDK’s-Aint No Half Steppin
King Sun-Sippin Brandy
Redman-Time 4 Sum Aksion
DJ 20/20 & Mysterme-Unsouled Mysterme
Das EFX-Klap Ya Handz
Finsta Bundy-Finsta Baby
3rd Bass-Products of the Environment (Marley Marl remix)
EPMD-Brothers from Brentwood L.I.
Brand Nubian-Return of The Dread
The Wascals-The Dips
JVC Force-Big Trax

Thanks for making me doing hours of digging and research, I enjoyed it.

Jaz May 13, 2007 at 9:40 am

I just noticed that I missed the Ed O.G. & Da Bulldogs one…

It’s “It’s Go Up and Up”

Jaz May 13, 2007 at 10:13 pm

No problem at all E…I suspected you would use my suggestions that’s why I put them up there…yo can you send me Top Quality-Messages from Uptown

I have lost my copy…thanks

pyro September 21, 2008 at 7:39 pm

the best use of that beat is when dj babu mixes it.