REEEEEWIIIIIIND!!!!…1991…Damn, was that really 16 years ago???

by Eric on May 16, 2007

First of all, thanks to Mike Dikk of Dumpin.Net for providing me with the inspiration for this post. For those of you who have been missing out on “Dumpin.Net’s” take on the “Top 100″ singles of all time, Mike & his co-horts recently evaluated Leaders Of The New School’s “Case Of The P.T.A.” as their #48 track of all time and it brought back crazy memories for that time period in Hip Hop(BTW, do yourself a favor and check these cats out, I know I’ve said it before but….as Ben Stiller would say “Do It, Do It, Do It” and drop em’ a nice comment or two!).

If you pose the question “What was the best year in Hip Hop?”, the answer more often than not will always be “1994″. Whoooaaaaa!!!, “Hoooooold up…wait a minute!” I’d have to argue, I’ve always felt that 1991 was the year that changed the face of Hip Hop forever and it is also the year that I really began to fall deeply in love with the music. Prior to 91′ I had been restricted to DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince’s “He’s The DJ, I’m The Rapper”, Public Enemy’s “It Takes A Nation Of Millions..” and EPMD “Unfinished Business”….let’s just say that I’d broadened my listening when I realized that I could purchase albums that had the “Parental Advisory” sticker even though I wasn’t of age (what a dumbass!). Undoubtedly, 94′ was a pinnacle year for Hip Hop as well, but there were countless debuts in 1991 that introduced us to a few monumental classics along with a few debuts that have received more than than their due share of “fanfare” and have become cornerstones in Hip Hop as years have passed.

Where shall I begin? Well, for starters we have A Tribe Called Quest’s “The Low End Theory”, which not only topped their classic (not in my opinion)”People’s Instinctive…..you know the rest” but would later go on to be quite possibly the most cohesive album in more than a few critics’ eyes’. Another release that has been hoisted to “classic” status is De La Soul’s complete “restructuring” “De La Soul Is Dead”. As far as debuts are concerned, the lists is pretty amazing if you think about it. Acts such as Main Source, Cypress Hill, Naughty By Nature, Black Sheep, Orgainized Konfusion, The UMC’s, Leaders Of The New School….ahhhh!!!! (deep breath)…..Ed O.G. & Da Bulldogs, 2Pac, K.M.D.,…(tired yet?)…Del and also AMG blessed the listener with phenomenal rookie efforts. As much as I would’ve liked to post my favorite album of 1991 (GangStarr’s “Step In The Arena”…check the archives), I’m more than pleased to start you off with a little appetizer.

I’m also regretful that I can’t post a little bit more in detail about each album, but I’m kinda’ short on time tonite and it woulda’ bugged me all nite if I didn’t post up anything at all (BTW, how the hell does that happen? I’ve heard more than a few bloggers express that same feeling). Plus to top the day off, while running to Wally’s World (Wal-Mart stupid!) I was pulled over by “5-Ohhhh” for the tint on my windows…hmmm, I guess that there’s not enough sh*t going on in Little Rock, AR that they have to hit me up for something like that!!! God, I’m hella’ pissed…but what is really crazy…no lie….”Guess what was playing in the deck as I was being pulled over?” Jay’s “99 Problems”!!!…I guess that kinda’ sheds a little light on the situation!…-Eric

Naughty By Nature-Self Titled

3rd Bass-Derelicts Of Dialect

Leaders Of The New School-A Future Without A Past

Mike Dikk May 17, 2007 at 2:34 am

1. Thanks for the plugs man.

2. I didn’t know you were from Little Rock. All I know about Little Rock is what I saw on Bangin’ in Little Rock back in the day.

3. I’d go with 91 or 92 as the best hip hop year personally. If i could do the last 6 months of 91 with the first 6 months of 92, that would be perfect.

4. I do like Tribe a lot, I’d even go as far as saying they had 5 star back to back classics with Low End and Midnight Marauders, but if anyone can relisten to Peoples Instictive Travels… and still consider it a classic, they’re buggin’. It’s a very boring album. It’s good to fall asleep to.

Eric May 17, 2007 at 2:47 am

Naahh….I’m from Harrisburg, Pa. I’ve only been here for two years due to the fact that my wife is stationed here in the Air Force…My business is in West Little Rock though…beleive me Mike, it’s a big change from the East.

Jaz May 17, 2007 at 4:36 am

Dope post…but you cold get a late pass…step!…:p…

only jokes E, I love ill bloggers that appreciate what I do…anyways if you haven’t seen these…

1991

1992: Vol 1 and 2

1994:Vol 1 and 2

A 4 (maybe 5) post Best of my all time favourite year (still) 1988 will be done to celebrate the 20 year anniversary of the pinnacle year my friend.

Keep up the great work

Jaz aka The B-Side King…

Jaz May 17, 2007 at 5:15 am
Dan Love May 17, 2007 at 7:55 am

Eric,

Nice post. I remember Alley Al once describing blogging as like ‘crack’ in its addictive nature. I get the same way, where I dno’t want to leave the blog dormant for more than a few days. I guesss it’s just a case of taking pride in something: great!

Take it easy

Dan

vincentlopez May 17, 2007 at 12:42 pm

1991 is severely underrated as a great year in hip-hop. I clearly remember purchasing all of the ‘major’ releases that year (Tribe, De La, Black Sheep, Leaders, KMD, Cypress, Pete Rock and CL, etc.) but the album that surprised me was the one I found in a used CD bin in New Jersey of all places. It was Del’s “I Wish My Brother George Was Here”. It was the icing on the cake so to speak.

travis May 18, 2007 at 4:27 pm

I guess I’m just an old codger, but I still say ’88 is my personal favorite year in hip hop.

I agree with Mike, I’ve never been that big on “Instinctive..”, in fact I hated most of it when it dropped. It wasn’t until “Can I Kick It” dropped until I bought the album (I think that was the third or fourth single from that album) and never was HUGE on it.

A buddy of mine is getting stationed in Little Rock in AUG, I might have to have you give me some names of some decent CD/Record stores if I go down there this fall