"Let's Talk About…….."

by Eric on May 20, 2007

Okay Peoples…..I know this will be about the third post out of the last five dealing with new music…no need to worry, things will be back to normal tomorrow continuing with “Select Records Selections Pt.II”. It’s just that there have been some recent “underground” releases (I’m talkin’ underground) that have really made me feel good about our music once again. I just feel that there isn’t a whole lot of Hip Hop today that really moves me and when in a case such as the Blue Scholars new LP “Bayani”, I’m sure as hell gonna’ give credit where credit is due! I can’t tell you too much about Blue Scholars other than the fact that they released a self titled debut and the duo hails from Seatle, WA. You can click HERE to check out Blue Scholars a little more in depth than what I’m offering. I will say this though, this album is EXTREMELY refreshing and most definitely original and very honest. I’ll say it one more time, first and foremost I’m all about the BEATS and producer Sabzi (who also handles Common Market’s production duties, which I also recommend you check out) does a helluva’ job backing Geologic, who is very impressive in his own right as the MC.

This album surprised the hell out of me!! After hearing the “Intro” (which is on some crazy crooning sh*t..I can’t even describe it you’ll have to hear it for yourself) I was prepared to just listen to the first minute or so of each track all the while hoping to find a cut that would be worthy enough to listen to in full length (that’s a bad habit I have from my DJ days…call it “DJ’s Ear”), but as soon as the intro ceased and blended right into “Second Chapter” I literally stopped what I was doing (running) and made a “funk face” that even Craig Mack would envy. Straight talk, there are about five SERIOUS cuts on “Bayani” that I would immediately declare some of the best I’ve heard this year to date. The aforementioned “Second Chapter”, “Opening Salvo”, the title cut “Bayani” (which seriously knocks in the trunk), “Fire For The People” and what is the absolute standout “Loyalty” (see my most played for the week) are all incredible tracks. You can literally hear Geologic’s passion comin’ thru your headphones and Sabzi’s beats???? Dayuuuum!!!…I’m mean it’s just so refreshing to find such a dope album, group, MC, DJ when you least expect to find it. Congratulations to The Blue Scholars…you’ve made one dope ass album!!!! If you love Hip Hop and are sick of the same ol’ rigmarole you’ll dig this this. Oh, and it’s also being dropped by Rawkus Records (damn, Kidz In The Hall, Marco Polo and now this!! Good to see Rawkus back on the map). Drop me a line and let me know if my judgement is on point! Check it out HERE…and again, big ups to HHB!!….-Eric

Anonymous May 20, 2007 at 6:25 pm

Hey Rasul!! I fell in love with the blue scholars album!!Wunderschönes Album!!Danke für den Tipp!!P.S. Ich freu mich auf die neuen Alben von Royce, Common, Blaq Poet und natürlich Pete Rock!

Tom Piper May 21, 2007 at 2:06 am

Oh this album is on heavy rotation.

Thanks for the heads up and the great write up. I would NOT have checked these blokes out, without your write up.

Waiting for this album to make it into itunes so I can support ‘em .

elgringocolombiano May 22, 2007 at 5:40 am

thx for the tip about Blue Scholars. I will check that album out

If you like Rawkus stuff, you should check Panacea 2006 Ink Is My Drink. That was one of my favorite 06 albums, I liked it better than Kidz In the Hall or Marco Polo. Panacea’s producer is innovative & excellent. Beats are somewhat like ATCQ, yet unique.

Hugo the Dude May 22, 2007 at 9:52 am

never heard of these guys before.. I’m glad you wrote about it! listen to it twice now and i’m loving it..

will cop it soon.

travis May 22, 2007 at 3:56 pm

I gotta catch up on some of this new stuff dropping

Andrew May 22, 2007 at 7:02 pm

i agree wholeheartedly with your stuff about them. their previous stuff is totally worth checking out and copping for those who aren’t familiar..
they need to tour on the other side of the country though..

ThaDeacon May 23, 2007 at 5:49 am

I’m from the TAC (Tacoma) in Washington down I-5 from Seattle. Just saw a show last week down the street from my house w/ Common Market & Blue Scholars. Good to see them finally gettin theirs! Sabzi is one of the most refreshing beatmakers in the game to me right now. Period. How diverse is this album? Well my joints are “North by Northwest (the breakdown before the hook is insane),” “Ordinary Guy,” “Xenophobia/The Distance,” “Back Home,” and “Joe Metro.” Just interesting that one album can have two people open on completely different joints. Overall a very complete album. You’re right on point!!! 253 reppin!!

Anonymous May 23, 2007 at 9:43 pm

i missed the album release party. im sure it was off the hook. i live in seattle and have been down with blue scholars and common market for a min. and hope more people will go out and buy this when is comes out next month. MASSLINE

Jersey Mike May 24, 2007 at 12:10 pm

I been a Blue Scholar fan from the door. Why? Well that “crazy croonin sh*t” you speak of is a prayer from the Bahai religion. It is in the Persian language and Sabzi is Persian. And I happen to also be a Bahai, a religion that is about uniting the human race. Thanks much for giving respect where it is due… Blue Scholars AND Common Market are Bahai inspired hip hop that is high quality by any standard. Learn more about the utmost important Bahai message here.

Remember… the revolution will not be televised… but it might be blogged! Thanks again!