Whaddup peoples? Hope everyone is enjoying their week thus far. If you’ve noticed lately, I haven’t been updating quite as frequently as I would like. Admittedly, work and my two baby girls (16 months apart in age) have really got me strapped for free time lately….which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Plus, my internet connection has been going “tits up” after 9 pm for about the last two weeks or so during what is basically my “free time” where I can sit down and conjure up a decent post. So if I don’t respond to some of your e-mails and questions in the comments section or the C Box immediately….it’s nothing personal, I just get caught up in so many other things that I forget to reply quite easily. Also, if your a new site and I forget to add you to my links, shoot me an e-mail and I’ll be sure to do it….that’s just laziness more than anything. But, I definitely will improve my “customer service” so to speak over the coming weeks. First of all, I would like to thank everyone that pops in for a visit and drops a comment or two. Hell, just a mere 3 months ago…while sitting on the computer at 3 in the morning (one of those nights where no matter what you do, you just can’t sleep), I began “When They Reminisce” as just an afterthought. Now, to be mentioned in the same breath as some of my favorites that are more established and well revered sites (I hate the term “blog”) such as Wake Your Daughter Up (my personal favorite), From Da Bricks (Dan Love falls into “one of the coolest dudes I’ve never met” category) & Bust The Facts (I owe half of my F: drive to Dread…thanks for bringing back those lost memories!!) is quite an honor. In what was an even bigger surprise, Oliver Wang from the world famous Soul Sides gave the our “Sample Appreciation (Blind Alley) post some nice ink. When it’s all said and done though…being 31 with a real demanding job, two baby girls and wife that keep me mad busy, it just gets pretty damn tough keeping “When They Reminisce” up to the standards that I would like. There are times that it would be great to have another contributor to take some of the writing duties (which are the most time consuming) off of my shoulders maybe twice a week at the most. Rasul, who had lent a HUGE helping hand throughout the first two months of this site is now….well, I think that he’s locked in the lab grinding out soon to be hits to be honest. I mean, there are days were I’m like “Ya know, maybe I’ll just shoot Trav (WakeYourDaughterUp) or Dan (FromDaBricks) an e-mail and ask em’ if maybe I could contribute to their respected sites once or twice a week, maybe that will make it a bit easier for me”…but, you know what? This “site” is my baby, I love checking in at lunchtime or first thing in the morning while my daughters are still asleep and I’m prepping for work and seeing the feedback that was received on what was a well done post or having the numerous mentions that this site has received…so yeah, even though I may have sat on the other side of the fence a few months ago, the “Internet props” are kinda’ nice. The one thing that I do get the most satisfaction from in this whole “blog” thing is shedding light on new music that otherwise would’ve have been passed up, and I love when others “feel it”, soon word begins to spread. Groups that are deserving of the “props” they receive i.e, Blue Scholars, Buff1, Uncut Raw, Ill Poetic may finally receive the attention that their product demands.
I’m probably just like you (30…married….loves the so called “Golden Age”..travelled down many different career “paths”, now finally settled) who has despised new music, but let’s be real here folks. It’s been a pretty damn good year thus far for Hip Hop!!! Will we look back in 2017 in with the same esteem that we hold 1994? We’ll see, but my faith in Hip Hop has been renewed over the last few months (damn, I seem to be mentioning that over and over) Okay, so where am I going with this? Hmmm, getting back to the point…if you think your qualified (damn, that old Domino lyric just popped in my head…”Do you qualify? Sure looks good to me”) and are up to basically letting Hip Hop consume ehhh….15%-20% of your time (that may be a little high) drop me an e-mail and I would love to check out some of your material (not that it’s gonna’ be that serious) and possibly I could add you as a contributor to “When They Reminisce” and believe me if your dope, I’m more than happy sharing the spotlight! I mean Rasul was perfect (deeply knowledgeable and an artist himself) but he’s just more so concentrating on his work right now (which I hope he kills it by the way!!) and I could use a little help once in awhile. One thing’s for sure though “When They Reminisce” ain’t goin‘ nowhere!!! It’s still Hip Hop baby!!!
Now, there are a few things that I’d like to mention regarding some of my fellow “blogs” this week that you NEED to check out! First of all, (damn, I don’t know who “big ups” one another more lately..me or Trav!) you need to head on over to Wake Your Daughter Up and check out Trav’s “Sunday/Monday Lite” post. A very personal, heartfelt post that only a father could understand and fully grasp. I think that most of you who read this blog would agree that “WakeYourDaughterUp” is probably the best thing going right now as far as blogs are concerned and the deeply personal “Sunday/Monday Lite” post is what really sets Trav apart from the others. Secondly, another “site” that has impressed the hell out of me early in it’s existence is Time4SumAksion, Illustrious dropped the bomb earlier this
week unleashing an abundance of 12″ Vinyl releases that included some very serious bangers. Be sure to check out Da King & I’s “Tearz” 12″ and also 3rd Bass’ “Product Of The Environment” 12″ that features the Marley Marl remix of the same single while your over there. Thirdly (damn, is that a word?), Mike Dikk and his pals over at Dumpin.Net recently posted up their “EWA/Monthly 25″ which is always good for more than a few laughs, these cats need to be syndicated or have their own magazine or somethin‘!!. By the way, drop them a comment or two because “The Monthly 25″ has got to be hella‘ time consuming to compose so show some appreciation.
- Man, yet another release that popped outta’ nowhere to surprise me! Mr. J Medeiros of The Procussions hits us with his solo debut “Of Gods & Girls”. Now when I saw this dude on an episode of Miami Ink 0n YouTube, I was a bit skeptical of this release..but man, “Of Gods & Girls” is some good stuff not quite a “Let’s Talk About…” post “good stuff”…but I can feel this one really growin‘ on me as I come back for more throughout the week. It damn near brought a tear to my eye while listening to 2nd verse from “Call You” on my way to the gym Father’s Day morning, especially if you had a kinda’ “rocky but now resolved” relationship with your Father. Still, the beats on this joint are solid and Mr. J is kinda’ dope as a proven lyricist. Get it HERE (props once again HHB!)
- Jesus, how painful was it to watch the NBA Finals between the Cavs & The Spurs…damn, that was seriously worse than watching “The View” or “Regis & that skinny chick”.
- And now for my underground pick of the week….Blu & Exile’s “Below The Heavens”…all I gotta’ say is WOW! Now, correct me if I’m wrong here but I think that these cats appeared on J Dilla’s “Jay Loves Japan” release. “Below The Heavens” may actually be deserving of the “Let’s Talk About…” post for the week so I’ll keep the details on this release sorta’ hush. In the meantime, Check It OOOOOUUUUUUTTTTT!!!
- I picked up seasons 2 & 3 of “In Living Color” on DVD this week and I’ve really enjoyed watching some of the episodes. After seeing 3rd Bass perform the “Product Of The Environment” remix during the close of an episode something occurred to me…Is it just me or was MC Serch maaaaaad corny?? On the other hand, Pete Nice was the MAN and lyrically he had his own unique style and really was kinda’ nice on the M.I.C.
- With all the attention that the Pete Rock produced I.N.I. “Center Of Attention” has garnered. Why do I never see or hear anything regarding an equally dope (and also Pete Rock produced) release from Deda “The Original Baby Pa”?
- Stack Bundles got killed?? Damn….I couldn’t tell you anything about dude, other than I knew that he was down with DipSet…but damn!
- On the subject of Hip Hop tragedies, Marley Marl is in recovery from his recent heart attack. Speaking of Marley, no matter how much I want to get into his recent release with Kris Parker “Hip Hop Lives” I just don’t see it happenin‘. Hearing KRS sound incredibly redundant on “I Was There” gets painful after about the 4th “I Was There”…but, Marley impressed me on the boards…the man has still got it!
- I’ve been looking for the Beatminerz remix of D’angelo’s “Brown Sugar” for quite some time now. If anyone has a quality version of this single please hook me up! Damn, if you’ve never heard this remix your missing out, incredibly dope production Evil Dee & Mr. Walt.
- Why have I still not heard Evidence’s remix of “Mr. Slow Flow” featuring Parrish Smith?
- Last thing, peep the Lupe Fiasco interview below I came across while checking out YouTube the other day (YouTube is the perfect companion while I’m ironing my shirts for work). Something that I found very interesting is Lupe’s early influences and first Hip Hop purchases….very interesting!
Lupe Interview-”What Is Hip Hop?”
Just some stuff that I’ve had sitting in my MegaUpload acct. that I need to post up, sorry that there are no write-ups accompanying the posts, I’ll work on that tomorrow< /span> but for now enjoy!