Eric's Most Played For The Week

by Eric on June 30, 2007

Most Played

1. “Ride Thru It”-Ill Poetic…Be prepared, he’s going to pop up quite a bit on my “Top 10″ this week. I couldn’t tell you if this is my favorite cut from “The World Is….” or not…it’s definitely one of those albums were it’s difficult to pick up a true favorite.
  2. “Yellow” (Remix)-Illogic f. Ill Poetic & Homeskillit…I saw that Ill Poetic produced this joint so I downloaded it from Itunes just outta’ curiosity and boy, what a pleasant surprise! I just can’t say enough about dude’s production!….Bangin‘!!!
  3. “Loyalty”-Blue Scholars…Arrrghhhh!!! Enough already!!! I can see your face of displeasure right now, but this cut still sounds as fresh as it did the first time I heard it! And they say that Hip Hop is dead…What????
  4. Ya’ll Should All Get Lynched”-NYOil formerly known as Kool Kim of the UMCs..I’ve seen the video on numerous blogs over the past month or so but damn…..Kim is HEATED! I can’t stop playing this for the simple fact that it blows my mind that this is Kool Kim!!
  5. “Brown Sugar” (Beatminerz Remix)-D’angelo f. Kool G Rap…Praise the Lord…Finally!!! Thanks to everyone who e-mailed me a link for this track, now I have enough links to keep me happy until I’m at least 65. Still, if you’ve never heard this it’s a step up from the original…plus, having Kool G Rap for a verse or two doesn’t hurt matters either.
  6. Makin Nat’ Green”-E.S.P… I said in my THOUGHTS for the week, I slept on “Valoompadoom Pink” big time. The only downside to the album is that one of the MCs sounds like a more lyrical Father MC.
  7. “Scratch Bring It Back”-EPMD…Erick Sermon starts things off with lines like “squezin‘ my Reebok pumps to Kriss Kross then Jump” and Parrish knocks it outta’ the park with his verse over a classic Hit Squad production…”Record mode, set the EQ for Dolby”….CLASSIC!
  8. “The Junk Off”-Junk Science….Trav put me on to this one and I was kinda’ skeptical about this album at first but it’s really taken it’s toll on me for the better. Real nice breakdown on this cut with the word “Science” (KRS vocal) being cut in nicely behind the crowd’s chant of “Junk”….shit, just listen to it and you’ll see where I’m comin‘ from.
  9. “Shut Em’ Down” Pete Rock Remix-Public Enemy….do I really need to say anything about this joint? Good for a few Summertime memories. I remember Pete also did a remix for P.E.’s “Nighttrain” but I can’t quite remember what it sounds like…if someone has this please shoot me an e-mail. Thanks in advance.
  10. “Tears” Loc’ed Out Vibe Remix-Da King & I….from one of my favorite “One Album Wonders” (BTW, Da King & I should just link up with Yaggfu Front…form a supergroup of sorts and comeback with some ish for datazz), picked this one up over at “Time4sumaksion“. It’s hard to one up the album version of “Tears” but this remix does a damn good job of coming pretty close.

Nokizm June 30, 2007 at 3:36 am

WHAT!!!!??? NYOil is Kool Kim??!!!

a-one June 30, 2007 at 4:45 am

I think he’s being sarcastic about the Kim/NYOIL thing

Jaz June 30, 2007 at 4:48 am

what’s good E…I flipped too when i heard NYOIL is Kool, Kim…wow…and you are right about the Tears (remix), I haven’t had the chance to really listen to the Ill Poetic but I dig it same with the Blue Scholars, although I do prefer their earlier material.

Oh and speaking of the infamous Pete Rock

everything else I agree with as well and man I used to rock that Brown Sugar in the clubs, it used to get requested a lot.

Dope post.

sorry I don’t comment enough

eldog June 30, 2007 at 12:36 pm

Hi Eric,

Came across your blog thanks to HHB and have been rocking the Mid Year Madness Mixtape non-stop for the last week. That Mr J track is equally brilliant and sad. Great interview at WYDU. Just thanks, that’s all!

Dan Love June 30, 2007 at 2:04 pm

Yo E!

There were two remixes of PE’s nighttrain, both Pete Rock, both seriously dope. I’m back in London this weekend but I’ll hit you with ‘em when I return.

That Ill Poetic is definitely in rotation, liking it more and more.

Jazz One June 30, 2007 at 7:59 pm

I remember months back or maybe last year, Kool Kim sent me a friend request through myspace. We shot a few emails back and fourth. He told me about this cat he’s working with NYOIL.
I am completely blown away. That is crazy.
I hear Shock G and Hump are the same person too.

Dart Adams July 1, 2007 at 2:18 am

I found out that Kool Kim and NYOil were the same person a while back when I was corresponding with him before he did those famous blogs. Then he sent me an invitation to add NYOil on MySpace and I heard the joints. When I first started blogging NYoil was sending me messages about ‘em and talking about stuff I talked about with Kool Kim…plus he didn’t have any pictures up and his videos didn’t have him in ‘em. I put two and two together after NYOil’s first exclusive interview.

As for Da King & I “Tears” Remix…does ANYONE have the one where Faceman (their reggae artist) does the hook and goes “midi midi midi midi midi midi murda” and the end. It used to have a video as well. Nice post.

NYOIL July 2, 2007 at 1:40 am

what would make yall think that NYOIL and Kool Kim are the same person I do not know…

I guess the only way to dispell this myth is for he and I to do a song together.

NYOIL July 2, 2007 at 1:41 am

Oh yeah HoodTREASON the warm up album is in stores NOW..

Your support would be greatly appreciated.

travis July 2, 2007 at 2:00 pm

Wow, I’m not sure what to think now. I guess I’ll take it from nyoil’s mouth. And yes, that song is so fucking dope and needed at this time in age.

hobs January 4, 2008 at 12:13 am