"Album Of The Year"????

by Eric on September 20, 2007

CunninLynguists featuring Devin-”Wonderful”

“Valley Of Death”

If you’ve been sleepin on CunninLynguists….WAKE UP! ! Attempting to capitalize on the success of it’s predecessor “A Piece Of Strange” Deacon & Kno are back with “Dirty Acres”, and if you’ve been in even more of a slumber the “advance” leaked yesterday…you can peep it HERE (Thanks Gr1mm!!). I’m not gonna’ jump the gun and anoint “Dirty Acres” as album of the year material just yet, but this album (which I’ve probably listened to a dozen times between last nite and this morning) is SERIOUS!! I just had to give you cats a little taste of “Wonderful” featuring Devin The Dude, I know that in the review for Soulstice’s “Dead Letter Perfect” I stated that the whole “sped up sample thing” was tired…..but fuck it!!! Kno laces “Wonderful” with one of the most soulful tracks that I’ve heard in a minute, and the clarity of this track is almost breathtaking. Lyrically, Deacon & Devin (who also blessed Special Teamz with a d0pe hook on “Long Time Comin” (more on that in Trav’s reviews for the week) succeed masterfully in creating a….no shit, 2007 “Around The Way Girl”. Kno’s beats on this album are…to quote one of the best singles of the year….”Simply Amazin‘”!!!!! Deacon, more than holds up his end of the bargain as well delivering thought provoking, meaningful lyrics on nearly every track. I Don’t wanna’ reveal too much about this album just yet, I’d rather leave it up to you to feel the soulfulness of this album yourself. All that I will leave you with is prepare to be “blow away”. Enjoy this one folks!!

hafenmeister September 20, 2007 at 1:59 pm

damn after having already written those guys off…after a first listen i have to admit that this album feels like a warm summer in my ears. might be hard to move evidence from my top-album-of-the-year list, but damn they actually might have a chance. got to give it some spins after learning…listening to hiphop while learning arabic always gives me some kind of headache….well maybe it’s just the arabic. well anyways thx for sharing your thoughts with us eric.
cheers

Tim September 20, 2007 at 2:20 pm

A 2007 ‘Around the Way Girl’ featuring Devin? Now this I have to hear.

Anonymous September 20, 2007 at 2:53 pm

What´s the password for the CL-LP?

g. September 20, 2007 at 3:36 pm

PW should be gr1mma. (I think.)

David September 20, 2007 at 11:15 pm

No doubt. Yellow Lines is ridiculous, and I was giddy yesterday listening to the new Cunninlynguist jawn. A Piece of Strange was one of my favorites from last year, and this will follow suit in what I think is the best year in hip hop this decade.

Thadeacon September 20, 2007 at 11:17 pm

^^^ That’s me…

John Dawson September 21, 2007 at 4:06 am

I just stumbled onto the Lynguists this past year and just judging from the Devin track, I do not want to spoil myself with the advance. Shit now is so stale and boring, I don’t want to open my presents up before Christmas Morning….

Owen Prior September 21, 2007 at 4:36 am

damn that is some soulful shit!
thanks bro!!

Anonymous September 21, 2007 at 9:25 pm

i dunno, i like the old bangers they did…i loved the sloppy seconds cd then they kinda fell off into this smooth soulful vibe. tonedeff done the same too. damn. kno is a serious producer tho.

album of the year is Monster Maker (so far..!)

BRANDONIAN 'the talking head September 22, 2007 at 12:10 am

Yo!
This album is alright..it doesnt compare to the first release they put out. Im going to have to say that the Soulstice – Dead Letter Perfect kills this album. So far for me im going to say Soulstice is the album of the year for me. Followed by talib and common.
Just my opinion..

Travis September 22, 2007 at 2:58 am

must…not…say…anything….Common? Talib??? I respect your opinions, but dayum…..

I’m still finding my barrings with this album, and I was a HUGE APOS fan, but shit, “Yellow Lines” beats anything that was on either Talib’s or Common’s albums

Travis September 22, 2007 at 2:59 am

Well, that Primo joint (with the cuts) could hang, but besides that…CL is turning into one of my favorite artists from this decade

BRANDONIAN 'the talking head September 22, 2007 at 4:18 am

CL? CL SMOOTH?
SHIIT..
jk man opinions differ..
no worries

BRANDONIAN 'the talking head September 22, 2007 at 6:15 pm

Shit travis , I think I had a few too many heinekens when I left this message last night.. cunninlynguists are a dope group no doubt..I just think that they flipped their style and they seem to be on the soulful tip all of a sudden. Maby this album needs a few more listens. But may I ask you this Soulstice or CL?

Travis September 23, 2007 at 10:20 pm

Yeah, I think I was half drunk as well, I don’t remember leaving this message. I wasn’t a big fan of that Soulstice really. So Cunninlynguists, but so far I don’t like this one nearly as much as APOS, but APOS took me a month to get into as well, so I’m not writing this one off just yet.

BRANDONIAN 'the talking head September 24, 2007 at 1:20 am

yo man, i got into it. thanks to you dude. Ive listened to it about 6 or 7 times all the way through. They have some great samples and the lyrics are very positive and understanding. Thanks again.

Anonymous September 24, 2007 at 11:51 pm

You do know there are three emcees on “Wonderful”? And 3 on the album? Natti is the third member of CL.

Anonymous September 24, 2007 at 11:53 pm

lol @ brandonian….’flipped their style’…

i’d hope so, for a group thats been around for 7 years, i dont want to hear the same record 5 times.

Anonymous September 25, 2007 at 5:34 pm

glad someone agrees about the soulful sound..its not a winner for me, its bland.

i recommend everyone cops their sloppy seconds vol.1 which is just 30 tracks of sheer dopeness

Chief October 13, 2007 at 5:59 am

eh, I’m LATE in in finding this blog. Very familiar with Trav over @ WYDU.

Anyway… Yeah this album is the shit to me, pretty much all I’ve been bumpin since that promo advance dropped. Album of the yr?; while def Eardrum & Finding Forever shit a few others; this by far supercedes the others to me; maybe its my region here in cincy.

We gotta lotta south influence here; we got our local ill poetic’s, mood’s, hi-tek’s, what you know about nardo or mezike, but u go to the streets and you get alotta other influences too that are more south orientated eg: Eightball & MJG, UGK, Geto Boys (face), top authority, no limit; speaking against any of this shit here doesn’t happen happen except for pc hiphop elitists. We are also influenced on the flipside as evidenced by the locals above.

I also really felt alotta of that Nappy Roots joint “Innerstate Music” which was released strictly via the net; I wouldn’t say album of the year. As far as cunninlynguists, I guess I’m in the minority that piece of strange and sloppy seconds were sub-par compared to WRFF or Southern Underground. I dunno, I’m just rejoicing that they back with a banger and I will be downloading the retail and purchasing the disc.