Rich Boy???????

by Eric on October 13, 2007

While I may lose a little credibility with the selection…..I can’t help it, I’m really diggin‘ not only “Let’s Get This Paper” by Rich Boy but it’s video as well. I cringed when I saw Rich Boy included in XXL’s most recent anointment of it’s “New School”, but I can’t front….all three of the singles that I’ve heard from him have been decent (“Throw Some D’s”, “Boy Looka‘ Here” and “Let’s Get..”). While dude may rap like he’s high on vicatin, he still manages to keep me entertained which is more than I can say for the majority of rappers receiving ridiculous amount of spins on your local radio station. This Polow Da Don cat who’s handled the beats on all three of the aforementioned singles has carved out a nice spot for himself as far as Down South production is concerned. I really love the cinematic production featured on “Let’s Get This Paper”, the synths and the pulsating bassline are extremely hard not to nod along with. I’ve actually had some folks tell me I need to peep this album, some have even gone as far as to say that it’s one of the best and most underrated efforts of the year (and these are dudes whose opinions I value). I don’t know, maybe I’ll check Rich Boy’s self titled debut out this week ahead, I’ll let you know how it goes….-Eric

“Let’s Get This Paper”-Rich Boy

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juT9i9LyU6M]

Steven October 13, 2007 at 11:49 pm

The album is pretty underrated, nothing groundbreaking in terms of lyrics, but the production is very well done.

Anonymous October 14, 2007 at 3:24 am

Throw Some Ds is decent?

…Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Anonymous October 14, 2007 at 3:09 pm

This joint has a Diary-era Scarface feel to it. Why cant niggas form the hood get emo too?!Love It!!
chronwell

Tim October 15, 2007 at 10:19 am

I’ll be honest. I’m a hige fan of a lot of down south rap, especially all the mid-90s Rap-a-Lot releases. But that Rich Boy song just sounds awful.

Christopher Patton October 15, 2007 at 5:19 pm

I’ve been addicted to this song and video. I’d agree that it’s nothing groundbreaking, but I’m really anxious to hear the resurgence of social commentary especially in Southern hip-hop. If you listen to Goodie Mob and stuff from back in the day, you had to wonder where it went for the past couple of years.

Anonymous October 20, 2007 at 5:05 am

c’mon man, I usually like and respect your taste but you just lost me with this one. smh@picking Rich Boy. you just lost some cool points homie. lol

H.JACKSON October 30, 2007 at 3:30 pm

That Richboy albums is hot it reminds me of the organized noise classics i grew
up on in Atlanta. I wish up north people give some the new south Hip hop a chance it aint all D4L and UNK(Y’all can say what u want that’s real underground atlanta culture most of yall just won’t get unless you were born n raised in G.A.)but there is alot of good musik coming from the south, stop hating