This is the last of the soundtracks that I’ll be posting. Both are pretty solid and are worth checking out. As I was going through them, I was reminded of two separate Mr. Show sketches for some reason, so I threw a couple clips in here.
New Jersey Drive Vol. 1 – 1995
I think I was one of 25 people to see this movie, and I actually enjoyed it, but I couldn’t tell you a lot about it right now. I haven’t seen it since 1995, so it’s been a while. I remember laughing when they stole the cop car.
Overall, there are a lot of good songs on here, but I really should have ended with my last post. I think I prefer Juice and Who’s the Man?
1) Don’t Shut Down On a Player – Ill Al Skratch – This is a real nice track.
2) Where Am I? – Redman – Redman comes correct. It’s been a while since I’ve listened to this song, but it’s nice. Produced by the man Reggie Noble, himself.
3) Do What U Want – Blak Panta – Dancehall track. It’s okay, but nothing great.
4) Old Thing – Sabelle – Here’s an r&b track flavored with a hip-hop beat that I like.
5) All About My Fetti – Young Lay feat. Mac Mall and Ray Luv – I never liked this song and I still don’t. The subject matter annoys me as well, I mean, I like money, but I don’t need to hear a whole song about it.
6) Can’t You See – Total feat. Biggie – Okay song overall. In my opinion, you can stop listening to it after Biggie kicks his verse.
7) Burn Rubber – Lords of the Underground – I was a huge LOTUG fan in the 90’s and I liked this song a lot. Contrary to some stuff I read, this was not LOTUG trying to go gansta. This track was from the perspective of the kids in the movie, stealing cars, etc. I made a comment to a friend recently that 1994 BC would have gone crazy to hear that Doitall and Masta Ace were going to be on the same track (w/ Edo G. on the upcoming A&E LP). Actually, 2009 BC is still amped by this.
8) 21 in the Ghetto – Poets of Darkness – The chorus on this track needs to go. If it was gone, this would be a decent song.
9) Love Slave – Undacova – This song reminds me of Three Times One Minus One with the woo’s woo’s.
10) Benz or a Beamer – Outkast – I heard Big Boi mention this song as one of his favorites. He said it was one of the top 5 Outkast tracks. This is another track that follows the story of the movie (carjacking). Great song.
11) Check It Out – Heavy D – Heavy D is one of those artists that I never liked when he was big, but going back and listening to some of his stuff now, I dig it. This is one of those songs.
12) Jersey – Queen Latifah – This is a rare QL song that I think is good.
13) East Left – Keith Murray – I just feel that sometimes Keith Murray was just way off beat. His flow took me a while to get into. I think this is a decent song.
14) Ain’t Nuttin’ But Killin’ – MC Eiht – If you like Eiht, this is probably a great track for you. I was never a fan.
15) Thru the Window – Coolio – Remember Coolio?! This song is from him. He was hit or miss with me really.
16) Before I Let Go – Maze feat. Frankie Beverly – It’s okay.
17) One and Only – Smooth – I loved that song on Menace, but this is not as good, but it’s not bad.
New Jersey Drive Vol. 2 – 1995
This was a weird soundtrack. I think there might have been issues with the secong volume. There were only 8 tracks and it was incredibly annoying to me that they charged you full price for this volume, but of course I bought it. Pound for pound volume 2 is pretty solid.
1) Funky Piano – E. Bros – I always loved this song. It’s a funky mellow track produced by the late, great Roc Raida. Any info I had on these guys, I lost sometime years ago.
2) Headz Ain’t Ready – Black Moon and Smif ‘N’ Wesson – They must not have had room for Heltah Skeltah, who also appear on this song. This is a great track and one of the standout verses comes from Rock. It’s in his nature to keep Robin, like Givens.
3) Connections – Naughty By Nature – I dig this song. I think the Meth sampled hook is my favorite part. At least part of Rottin Razkals are on this track as well.
4) Nobody Beats the Biz – Biz Markie – Great old school track from the Biz sampling The Eagles. You get extra points if you remember Nobody Beats the Wiz. Most likely you’re a Seinfeld fan if your not from NY. Anyway, this song shows you that Biz can flow.
5) Invasion – Jeru the Damaja – Nice Premo produced song from Jeru, who was always a tight emcee.
6) Own Destiny – Mad Lion – I liked a few Mad Lion songs back in the day and I like this one. Produced by KRS-One.
7) You Won’t Go Far – O.C. and Organized Konfusion – This is another song inspired by the movie. It’s a real nice track and an interesting pairing, or trio (one duo and one solo MC).
8) Flip Squad’s In Da House – Flip Squad Allstars – Just a little filler for the end of the short second volume.
Soul in the Hole – 1997
I never did see this movie. All I really know is that this is another basketball documentary from the 90’s.
1)The Game of Life (Score) – dead prez – This is the first time I heard dead prez and it’s a nice song.
2) Diesel – Wu-Tang Clan – ODB flips styles a couple times on this track, or at least his flow. This is another nice Wu track on a soundtrack.
3) Against the Grain – Sauce Money – Nice DJ Premier produced track.
4) Ride – M.O.P. – Heat from M.O.P., but what else would you expect?
5) You Ain’t a Killer – Big Punisher – I remember Pun was making
a name for himself, and this was the first time I officially heard him. It’s a pretty nice song.
6) Los Angeles Times – Xzibit – Love the LP this song ended up on from XZ, but this was one of the weaker tracks, but still good.
7) Main Aim – the Dwellas – I always liked these guys, but I never thought their first LP was that strong. This is a real nice track though and I always liked UG’s technique.
8) Rare Species (Modus Operandi) – Mobb Deep – This is a real nice track from Mobb Deep.
9) High Expectations – Common – This is a pretty good song.
10) A Child is Born – Brand Nubian – A nice piano loop beat and song from those dudes that will beat down any punks that jump up to get beat down.
11) Won On Won – Cocoa Brovaz – AKA Smif ‘N’ Wessun. I always liked this song a lot, and listening to it again reminded me of that. It’s been a while since I dusted off this LP.
12) Soul in the Hole – Wu All-Stars – Not a bad song featuring Timbo King, Dreddy Krueger, Shyheim and Killa Sin.
13) Visions of Blur – Darc Mind – I really like this song. I dig the beat and Kev-Roc’s flow. I remember checking for these guys and never seeing any release. In the last year or so, I got their debut when I bought something. I think it was a free gift with an order. I’ll post it on hear sometime, so you can check it out (it didn’t get a proper release, as it came out in 2006 and it’s in a cardboard sleeve).
14) Late Night Action – Organized Konfusion – Anything w/ Monch is worth a listen, right?
15) Your Life – O.C. – Just like NJD, O.C. and OK end a soundtrack, but this time in their own songs. This is a nice track with a piano loop.
On a side note, it’s always fun to look at the liners on these old albums and see the merch page for Tommy Boy or loud merchandise, etc. I remember Naughty sold their own sheets and I thought it would be so dope to have Naughty By Nature sheets, but they were like 75 bucks.