11-30 from 2009:
30) What It Was – Aceyalone & The Lonely Ones – This song sounds just like it comes from the 50′s or 60′s with the exception of Aceyalone rapping. I just love the concept of this album and this is one of the better songs on the LP.
29) That’s Coke – La Coka Nostra – The first single from La Coka Nostra and my favorite from the album. I just love Everlast on this song.
28) Cocaine – Cunninlynguists Produced by J-Zone – A song about drugs in America, more specifically cocaine, over a crazy J-Zone beat.
27) Low Light Low Life – P.O.S. feat. Dessa and Sims – P.O.S. is joined by two members of his Minneapolis-based crew, Doomtree, on this real nice track.
26) Lightworks – DOOM – I tried to find where this sample came from, but had no luck. It sounds like an old commercial. It’s a slightly different version from Dilla’s Donuts and with DOOM dropping some lyrics.
25) D.O.A. (Death of Auto-Tune) – Jay Z – If you’ve met me, or read anything I’ve written, then you know of my intense hatred of autotune. I’m always happy when others share my hatred.
24) Shake This – Royce Da 5’9″ – This is the song that got me to buy my first Royce album. Nice DJ Premier produced track.
23) Auditorium – Mos Def feat. Slick Rick – I loved this beat when I heard it on Madlib’s Beat Konducta LP featuring music from India. It’s cool to hear some lyrics dropped over it and Slick Rick drops an ill verse from the point of view of a soldier in Iraq.
22) Caged Bird, Pt. 1 – Zion I feat. Brother Ali – The string sampled beat is great and Brother Ali makes a guest appearance. I even like the singing on the track.
21) Run This Town – Jay Z – Jay-Z had some real good songs on BPIII, and 2 of the best feature prominent R&B singers, which a lot of times will put me off to a song. I guess they made a Mad Max inspired video for this song, which I may have known about if I was 15.
20) Strange Enough – NASA feat. ODB, Fatlip and Karen O – Can you really go wrong with Fatlip and ODB together on the same song? I don’t think so. You also have a chorus handled by Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeah’s, which is pretty damn cool.
19) Day N Nite (Nightmare) – Kid Cudi – I guess this was the first single from Cudi’s LP, which, again, I would have known if I was 15 and listened to pop radio (another old man rant). Anyway, like I’ve said before, I really liked Cudi’s LP and this is one of the better songs.
18) Fresh Air – Brother Ali – A funky track from Ali and Ant on production duties.
17) Samsonite Man – Fashawn w/ Blu – Great production from Exile and Fashawn and Blu kick rhymes about the travelling life of an artist.
16) Pursuit of Happiness (Nightmare) – Kid Cudi w/ MGMT and Ratatat – Some more “life sucks, but I hope it gets better” stuff from Cusi.
15) Gihad – Raekwon feat. Ghostface – Rae and Ghost kick some more drug laced rhymes over a crazy beat. The subject matter from Ghost might not be for everyone, but Ghost kills this song.
14) Murder1 – KRS-One and Buckshot w/ Bounty Killer – A hardcore track off of one of the pleasant surprises of the year, Survival Skills.
13) Goodbye – P.O.S. – I like everything about this song, the lyrics, the beat, the chorus, just a solid song.
12) Gifted – NASA feat. Kanye West and Santigold and Lykke Li – I waiver quite a bit on Kanye. I’ve never thought of him as a top tier emcee, but he really kills his verse, even if he is on some “I’m Kanye the Great” type stuff. His flow on this track is fresh.
11) Tailor Made – Low Budget – I love this song and couldn’t get enough of it when I first heard it and it holds up well. Just a real nice track from Australia’s Low Budget.